Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Gaga over Goldspot


If The Beatles and Coldplay had a lovechild, they name it Goldspot. Now, now before you get the knives out and accuse me of blasphemy, do give them a listen and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Goldspot is one of those bands, who you always keep nearby to call on for good times or for comfort on those crappy days when everything seems to be falling apart. Siddhartha Khosla’s clear, sweet voice, a broad vocal range, and music that’s a masterfully produced pop blend of psychedelic Beatles (think Lucy in the sky with diamonds or George Harrison after his exposure to Indian traditional music), the endless summer sounds of the Beach Boys, and just the right amount of Bollywood musical makes for an infectious combination that inevitably finds me singing along every time I listen to their songs.

Upbeat melodies and quirky, innocent lyrics—and I’m talking of “pair of 14-year-olds holding hands in the sun” innocent here—I’m left with a smile on my face and a little extra bounce in my step. This is basically identical to how my body reacts to an encounter with a little Whiskey, so I think I may have just stumbled upon a way to brighten even the darkest day without Liver damage.

It’s probably true that Khosla went through some difficult times while writing these songs and he pours his absolute everything into the pieces. Images of his struggles run throughout the music and lyrics, both of which are direct and so honest they make it impossible to feel any sense of shame or embarrassment in hearing about his dreams, hopes, and losses or in remembering one’s own. (I know I did)

But what sets Goldspot apart is their ability to channel this pain into a sense of unbridled joy, I don’t know of any other band that can have me singing lyrics like, “Oh why is this damn life so hard / We spend out time filling the holes in our hearts,” and still feel a sense of hope and optimism.

The songs keeps me swinging back and forth between hard-bitten cynicism and untarnished idealism but ultimately leaves me a believer, if not in the real possibility of untainted love then at least in the importance of always keeping within ourselves somewhere a sense of innocence. And that’s always a nice feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment