Monday, 4 June 2012

Bubbles.

In the hills,anything is possible. Given enough alcohol and people looking for a change in location and lifestyle.


That was probably how I met Eva,oh Eva.Eva was tall and slim, with sun-browned skin, raven black hair, and a slightly clumsy gait. When she laughed, her smile bloomed back from the corners of her mouth, crinkling her nose and narrowing her eyes into quivering, blue-flecked slits.


She was here,wherever here was,to attend a meditation course,to learn to cook momo's and generally to find herself again.We spent our days like an affectionate middle-aged couple, silently reading books at waterfall, or walking to the open-air market in the town center to buy ingredients for dinner.


Around a week later,Eva told me it was time for her to move on: She didn’t want to spend the rest of her holiday in a sleepy little hill town, she said, and she had longstanding plans to explore the snowy north before she went home . I responded with a whimsical rundown of reasons to stay (We can take up spear fishing! You can learn to kickbox!), more for the chance to watch her nose-crinkling laugh than for the conviction that I could change her mind.


Later  on that afternoon,we walked to the bustop. I told I’d miss her, and she responded in kind. She didn’t invite me to come with her.


I spent long portions of each day alone, inside my head. Eva’s presence had proved to be a welcome distraction: She was pretty, and she had an understated, mischievous sense of humor. She wasn’t talkative, and we shared our silences comfortably. At a time of focused self-isolation, when I went for days without speaking to anyone, she made me feel less lonesome. I fell for her with a suddenness that made me feel a bit juvenile.


One day,I woke up early with a scowl on my face,I am as most of my friends know prone to mood swings.I was irritable and kept muttering under my breath as I watched the sun come up from behind the mountains.As I sat and glowered at a squirrel on the tree outside, a bubble floated over my shoulder and popped in front of my face. I turned to see Eva padding around the room, naked, dipping a small plastic wand into the bottle of bubble soap she’d bought at the market.


But the bubbles weren’t for my benefit; Eva paid me little mind as she meandered across the room, sleepy-eyed, entranced by her task. Her long-legged steps, which in hiking shorts looked gawky, gave her nudity a lithe elegance. I’m not sure how long I sat and watched this vision before she glanced over and bade me good morning. I told her I had never in my life seen anything so beautiful. Sometime in the far future, I knew when I was lying on my deathbed, this was the moment I wanted to remember...


Somethings stay in the memory forever,fleeting glimpses of what was.Oh Eva..









2 comments:

  1. I loved imagining this one. Brilliant writing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice but i wish you had finished this at the second last line..

    ReplyDelete